Tuesday, January 22, 2008

brrrr....

still quite cold here....we even turn on the extra electric heater sometimes in the evenings. government heating isn't warm enough in our building! maybe because we're on the first floor it's colder. we had snow again the other night, but again it's mostly gone.

this past weekend Scott had a final volleyball tournament with his girls' team. we also received a call inviting us to an interview for volunteering for the Olympics! we'd applied awhile ago and hadn't heard anything until now. so I went on my own early Saturday morning to the other side of the city, to one of the universities. there were all foreigners, about 30 of us, and they had us fill out a form that was all in chinese! haha. then I had the first interview since I was sitting closest to the door. they just asked me a few questions: what did I do here in Beijing, how long I'd been here, how I planned on getting to the Olympic Stadium, and was I truly available for the entire period. that was it. they didn't seem completely organized. we'll see how they do with running this big event!!! anyways, we'd like to be involved if we can....though we might have some meeting in preparation for the beginning of the school year during the games. we can only hope that we can get out of them if we get to volunteer!

it seems like everyone at our school is getting sick. one of our teachers found out today she has bronchitis, so she's on I.V. antibiotics at a clinic and will be taking tomorrow off....which throws things off for chapel which she's supposed to do. oh well! we'll manage.

the puppy is still with us. she's doing a bit better. but we're still trying to give her away :) there is a korean family that is quite interested. we'll just have to break the news to our friend Alex, and see if he approves. we had some other neighbours over on Friday for dinner (malaysian), and they have 2 very young kids. the dog was scared of the small humans! it was pretty funny.

I gave my testimony at church on Sunday! it went well I think. of course everyone gave me positive feedback later....they wouldn't really say otherwise, would they? :) as long as it encourages one person along the way, it was worth it :)

well I better get set for chapel tomorrow! figure out how to do worship without our guitarist.

zaitian!

1 comment:

Meinema said...

You guys sound like you're doing great. It's neat to read your blog and get updated again- haven't read it for awhile. I know you got a puppy=- but now he is going? COuldn't handle the pee,eh. I know-it's gross.
So the teaching sounds wonderful. I'm glad you have a good bunch of kids. SO how often do you get vacation?
I hope for your sake the weather gets warmer. It has gotten colder here once again as well. But atleast our home is warm.
Neat about your testimony. IT's great that you found a church you feel good about in a foreign country.
So keep writing. It's great to read! I"m so glad you both are well. We miss you, and it's always weird to think how far away you guys are. ok, talk to you soon