Saturday, September 15, 2007

International Family Day



this week was a hold build up to the big fair at the school on Saturday. throughout the week we discussed the different cultures represented in our classrooms, and Friday everyone was invited to wear their national clothing. so much fun! I forgot my camera, but thankfully another teacher took some pictures of my class for me.

so today at the school, each culture represented at our school had a classroom, where they had trivia about their country, food, music, whatever. and it's a fundraiser for the Parent Teacher Association. the Canadian room rocked! some families have been doing this event for a few years, so they bring things back specifically for this day, including napkins and plates with Canadian flags. someone even had a huge tin of Tim Horton's coffee! which, combined with the giant Timmy's sign another girl and I painted, it felt like home. Scott and I also made waffles and crepes throughout the day. we sung the National Anthem a few times, and even had a bit of hockey going on. it was a real fun time. we got to enjoy food from Venezuela and Korea, and had our names written in chinese calligraphy.

this week riding the bike to work was quite fun! it's so nice to have your own space, rather than be crowded like sardines in a bus. it did rain a few days this week and I actually biked. I noticed that most chinese people biking have these ponchos that go right over the handle bars and keep you quite dry. thankfully someone at the school had one they didn't need, so I have one for next time it rains. I managed to stay fairly dry without it though. Scott and I also brave it, and I sit on the little rack on the back to the corner where he catches the bus. it's kinda scary because I can't see anything. but so far we've been fine. we feel quite chinese doing that.

just 2 more weeks of school and then we have a week holiday! woo-hoo!!!
that's all for now folks!

No comments: