Sunday, September 9, 2007

moving into week 5!

starting week 5 of school that is, which means we've been here for 6 weeks! and married for 7! it's still hard to believe everything that has happened in that short amount of time. but here we are, having fun!

this past Monday I felt dizzy as soon as I stepped out of bed. I didn't want to eat and I thought I'd throw up any minute. but it passed so that I thought I could teach that day. I actually took the bus to school, but as soon as I arrived the feeling returned. so I handed over my lesson plans and went home to sleep. it must've been a bug from some food. all I did to recover was sleep, and I've been fine since. someone said it must be Beijing Belly, which every new foreigner experiences.

that meant I only had 3 days with my students this week, because Friday was a work day. our school is in the process of getting accredited with WASC and NCCT, 2 different educational associations. so it was mostly meetings for the day. then we had the privilege of waiting at the police station for 1 hour. all people living in Beijing must have a residence permit. chinese or not. so people can't just come in from the countryside to live here, unless they have a residence permit. the police actually goes around door-to-door to look for illegal residents. we have our "foreign experts certificates" but we still needed that permit. there were a pile of Koreans also waiting in line. but apparently we haven't experienced China until we've been to a train station. THEN, we are told, will we realize how many people China really has!

Saturday this weekend I was invited to join some of my female colleagues for a scrapbooking and stamping party! it started at 10 and didn't wrap up until 4!!! we actually didn't start making stuff until almost 12 because we were just chatting, and then we also had lunch. it was actually mostly a stamping party, because that's what most of them have. and boy do they have a lot!!!! they order from Stamp It Up. friends in the U.S. ship things out for them. I was so overwhelmed with all the choices! we had a good time though.

last night we called up our English speaking neighbour that we met randomly and asked him to join us going out for dinner. he's actually from Malaysia and has been living and working here for 6 months, but his Mandarin is quite good. we went for Hot Pot, which is almost like fondue. we got one big pot that splits into two: half spicy oil, have broth. then you order whatever meat and vegetables you want. then you throw them in a bit at a time, fish it out with your chopsticks, dip it in a sauce and enjoy! it's a long meal, but that's what the chinese like to do. sit around for a couple of hours around food and drink and chat it up with friends. chinese restaurants are generally really loud!

the bus to school has been getting increasingly crowded. it must be because of the start of chinese schools. they are sooo uncomfortable, I'm usually squished tightly between many people. and the other day I saw a colleague go by on her bike....and bikers always beat me to school, so I've decided to get one! yes, Scott might secretly be concerned about my safety, but I'll be careful :) it would be cool to get a video sometime on my bike and tape what happens on the streets. cars only follow traffic lights a little bit. if it's green though and you want to turn right or left, cars usually just go and weasle their way in. I don't understand it really. and sometimes riding in a taxi still makes my heart jump. but generally they're not going too fast, so that they can always stop before hitting someone. should be an interesting week of bike stories.

off to the market now to buy a cheap bike (because it'll probably get stolen) and a really expensive lock!

No comments: